Wednesday, September 14, 2005

HTML Help #1

I decided that when I don't have time for long and involved posts, I'd throw some HTML your way.

The first thing we need to cover is the use of the bracket, "<>". All HTML commands are enclosed by brackets.

Most of the commands need to be started and stopped. To stop, or close the cmmand, usually you add the forward slash or "</command>"

The most common commands used are:
"<center>" "</center>" to center the text

"<B>" "</B>" to make text bold
"<I>" "</I>" to italicize text
"<A HREF>" "</A>" to make links More on this one next.

There is one command that I use often that does not need to be "closed". It is the "break" command, "<BR>". It is a line break. Blogger does a good job of adding those for us every time we hit the return key. However, if you were programming in HTML you would need a break every time you wanted to start a new line.

Annother common command we use here is for making bulleted lists. Each item on the list starts with the "<LI>" command. This stands for "list item." It will automatically start a new line and add a bullet. There are ways to change the default bullet to nifty symbols for our advanced class.
  • List item 1
  • List item 2
  • Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers

    Homework today is to post a comment and USE something from this class. Make some text bold, or centered, or leave me a bulleted list of your favortie t.v. shows! Amy, Lady Hearteater, I'm speaking to you. CLB, stop passing notes during class!

    Edit: I just found out that the comments section only allows certain HTML tags. Do the best you can. If you have to, just start using them on your blog. So far I haven't had any tags refused over here.

    J
  • 3 Comments:

    Blogger John from IP address: said...

    Easy, Tiger, I don't want any angry Lords at my doorstep!

    J

    12:06 PM  
    Blogger Hazed from IP address: said...

    J, I've been practicing for you. I already knew some basic tags, but it's the formatting that throws me for a loop. And oh, dear God! When you start trying to work with colors?! I gave up on that a very long time ago. I centered something on my blog for you. Although, I'm not sure you'll like my current post, so you can ignore it and look for more coding, later, if you choose ;)

    lady hearteater, isn't he just the greatest? and you're a sweetheart, yourself.

    12:48 PM  
    Blogger Heather from IP address: said...

    Only you could make women go ga-ga over html. Unlucky for you, I already know more than my fare share. You're gonna have to work a little harder than that to impress me. What else ya got?

    7:59 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home