Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I'm Glad I Grew Up

When I look around town and see what young kids here do for fun, I think to myself "I'm glad I grew up." I just honestly don't see the reason to stay up until 2 am EVERY NIGHT getting hammered and acting like a fool.

Last night, I was invited to dinner by some college friends of mine. I knew "dinner" meant drinks and the possibility of staying out late. However, at about 11pm I realized that there was no real purpose to thier drinking. We just sat around and laughed at each other and really did nothing enjoying. I barely knew these people, so it wasn't like the social hour did me any good. I stopped drinking after my second beer at dinner. Maybe that's why I wasn't as goofy or giddy as them. At around 12:30 this morning they decided they needed Wendy's and they piled up into the Tahoe. I made my excuses and headed home. Now, this morning, I'm tired, I have a headache and my stomach hurts. And for what? A game of darts and an immature conversation?

I don't know. I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy trapped in a 20-something's body. Maybe I'm just a party-pooper.

For whatever reason....I'm glad I grew up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz from IP address: said...

I enjoy being a grown up. Personally I don't drink very often. I hate hangovers. I know alot of people my age (mid-30s) who still go out 3 or 4 times a week and get hammered or are still doing coke. I outgrew that shit years ago.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners from IP address: said...

I too am glad I'm a grownup. Yes, I like children's books and playing with pupppets, but now I can actually purchase them myself. I like being an ally for children and young adults, but by all that is holy and good, please, PLEASE let there be no reincarnation (or at least, give us an opt-out). I do not want to have to go through junior high school again. Ever.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Hazed from IP address: said...

There's no way in hell you're a party pooper. College kids are still spewing the energy of youth and just beginning to find their niche in life. Just because you don't care to get snockered every night and stay up past a reasonable bedtime does NOT make you boring. I also agree that growing up is special. I may complain about it, myself, sometimes, but I wouldn't go back for anything.

I'm with Jax on starting WV early, too:
ovuyow = overutilized Yow, the basketball star.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home