Friday, September 16, 2005

Bright, Flashing, Fuck-off Text

A quick note: I was doing some research to see if you could make text blink faster or slower and discovered that the blink tag was invented by Netscape and Microsoft Internet Explorer refused to code it into their browser. So, if you're using Internet Explorer, first off, shame on you, and second, you won't get to see the flashing. If you have Netscape, Opera, or Mozilla, just use:
<BLINK>BLINKING TEXT</BLINK>

Go get Opera

Ok, one of my favorite things to do on web pages is to change the text. Your basic command is "<FONT>" Inside of the FONT command, you can add tags, like size and color. For example:

<FONT size=+1 color="red"> Makes the font one size bigger and red.</FONT>

Note my use of "". You have to use them most of the time. When it comes to size, however, that is a mathematical variable and the quotes aren't needed. I think +4 is
the biggest
You can also go <FONT size=-2> smaller</FONT>

You can also define the font size absolutely: <FONT size=5>Size 5</FONT>

Colors can be done two ways. My example uses color names. I've never really used names. I use what's called RGB colors. In this method, you define the red, blue and green content of the font. <FONT color="RRGGBB"> the values are not 1-100, thuogh, they are in hexadecimal form--00 to FF. This is a bit harder to understand, but it gives you a wide variety of colors. Hex counts like this:

01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15....A1, A2, A3,...F1, F2, F3, F4,...FF

This gives you 255 values but only takes up 2 spaces.

SO...<FONT color="2FC5DA">Looks like this</FONT> NOTE: In Blogger, using RGB font colors will probably change the color of the text in your comments section.

A couple of color charts:
Chart 1
Chart 2

One final note on fonts is you can now change the font face (or font style). In the old days, circa 1995, you could not. Some font faces would be: <FONT face="veranda"> and <FONT face="Times"> unfortunately, Blogger has an override on the font face and I cannot get it to work right now, but trust me, it works.

Now, I know that Blogger gives you a neat little font color/size thing up there, but what if you weren't using blogger?!?! Edit: Turns out there is no color icon up there. Opera doesn't display those, so I had no clue until this afternoon when I decided to edit this post in IE.

The comments section won't let you use the font command...dammit, so you'll have to experiment in your own blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger John from IP address: said...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king.

The colors in the comment window are a mistake. I don't know what I did...but I kind of like it, too.

When you are creating a post, if you want to change the color of one word, put the <FONT> </FONT> tags around that word. You say "black I suppose" but I think that is your mistake. Your text looks black on the screen when you enter it, but it is really WHITE. I use Opera, and when I write a post, I don't have all of the buttons that you do because this version of Opera cannot interpret the java scripting Blogger is using, so I do all my colors manually with HTML tags. If you have a specific example, let me know and I'd be happy to tutor you....for a favor in return.

J

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home