Monday, February 20, 2006

Why I hate Southern Drivers

1. They NEVER use their turn signal unless they are in the "left turn only" lane. By then, I already know you're turning left. You should have indicated that to me BEFORE you slammed on the brakes and swerved into that lane.

2. They don't know how to turn left across traffic. The center lane is for LEFT turns OFF the road only. These tools will turn left out of a parking lot, then STOP in the center lane and THEN look over their shoulder and try to merge into traffic. You should find an opening before you even left the parking lot and NEVER NEVER NEVER stop!

3. Just because your truck is a 4-wheel drive and you have big ol' mud grip tires doesn't mean you can speed through ice. It only means you'll get out easier when you get stuck. Mud grips? Ha, the best traction is with SLICKS or any tire with an ice rating of 9 (Goodyear Assurance Tripple-tread or ComforTread work nicely),

4. Snow chains? Are you KIDDING ME? The roads are just wet with some ice patches. Snow chains cause you to LOSE traction on wet pavement. Fool.

5. 75 in a 45 on a dry day but 20 in a 45 when it's raining.

The following were added based on Alkelda's Comments

6. Alkelda will disagree with me, but two cars CAN go through the 4-way stop at the same time if it makes sense. Like if you and I are facing each other and are both going straight, it is ok for both of us to go at the same time. Also, if you would USE YOUR TURN SIGNAL, I would know that you are turning and therefore I have the right of way and don't have to sit there and wait for you to wave me on.

7. Yes, cops not actively in pursuit or on their way to an emergency are supposed to follow the rules of the road...and USE THIER FUCKING TURN SIGNALS!

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz from IP address: said...

I'm glad your the greatest driver there ever was ;-P

11:06 AM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners from IP address: said...

Southern drivers are like Seattle drivers. It's funny-- everyone in Seattle I talk to gripes about the other drivers. Makes you think, eh? I know recently I have come close to being guilty of #2, Oops! "Pie in my face," as Monkey would say.

That said, I love griping about other people's driving!

1)Cars turning left on a double-yellow line, making traffic crowd behind the car, and ignoring all the honking that says "You're doing something illegal."

2)The lack of understanding of how four-way stops work. Two cars going through on one turn is not okay. Also, everyone gets a turn based on when they arrived at the stop-sign. There's no "biggest SUV goes first" rule and never has been.

3)When not speeding to an emergency, police cars have to obey traffic laws, just like everyone else.

That felt good!:)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners from IP address: said...

Clarification: When one car is at the stop-sign, and then the car directly behind it goes at the same time while the car(s) at the other points of the intersection haven't gone yet, that second car is cutting in line.

10:13 PM  
Blogger John from IP address: said...

Yes, Alkelda, you are correct about that one. I've yet to see THAT. I DO, however, see people RACING to the intersection so they can be first and then roll through it...but that's called a California Roll around here, so I guess it's not a Southern thing!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Hazed from IP address: said...

I have come to the conclusion that the most dangerous drivers are as follows, in the correct order:

1. Old drivers
2. Women drivers
3. Any driver when a large, dark Ford sedan is riding behind them

I think the BEST drivers are usually kids straight out of driver's ed. They're still afraid the teacher is gonna reach over and smack their hands if they don't do the 10/2 position. Men drivers, age 30 - 45 are generally the best drivers after that.

Sorry ladies, but our driving sucks. Seriously. Oh, and J, as for the wintery/ice drivers with 4wd's - they're idiots. I've seen more 4wd pickups in the ditch or upside down in ice (which, as southerners, we are prone to in the winter, instead of snow) it's not funny. All the people who DO slow down and keep safe distances from other cars and such generally get where they're going unscathed. Personally, I don't drive in it because...well...I'm a female driver and I'm scary on dry roads!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Hazed from IP address: said...

Nonny is a comment whore. She begs for them. Longs for them. Dreams of them. Some days, she checks her comments section every fifteen minutes, just to see who may have replied. We should throw her a bone, today, and give her the comments she desires so much. That was Nonny, just in case you lost the link.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Liz from IP address: said...

Did you leave this comment everywhere teabagger?

4:34 PM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners from IP address: said...

Friday: Regarding female drivers, I really think it all depends. I'm not a good driver (I've been driving for 5 years), but I'm a careful driver, so I compensate that way (but stay off the Boston roads). The female drivers I know who are good drivers are the ones who take active pride in their driving abilities. It's the distracted 1/2 attention to the cell-phone, 1/4 attention to the radio, 1/8 attention to the coffee, and 1/8 attention to the road ratios that is scary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think women are more likely than me to try to multi-task.

I can't even drink my coffee unless I stop at a stop-light.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home