Tuesday, November 29, 2005

HTML Is Frustrating!

First off, I want to share this with you. I'm not a fan of embedded music/videos, but I want you all to be able to hear the song I reviewed yesterday. Thanks to Jules, I have a quick, easy way to share it with you. I know it works in Opera and I can only assume it works in Netscape and IE.

UNWRITTEN (Natasha Bedingfield)

This leads me to my main point. I enjoy web development. I also enjoy learning. I have learned so much about CSS from w3schoolshttp://www.w3schools.com/ here lately. They have great tutorials and examples. The problem I face now is that not all browsers are on the same page as far as HTML, XML, XHTML, and CSS code. I chose to go to CSS as opposed to java scripts because loading java takes browser time and doesn't always work the same on every computer (depending on the java package you have installed). The trouble I face now is that the really neat stuff, the stuff that separates the men from the boys, in the world of CSS is not being picked up by the browsers at the same pace.

An example, if you will, is pseudo styles. "Hover" is a pseudo class and "First-letter" is a pseudo element. In this blog, I have utilized the "first-letter" element. If you are viewing my page in Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, or something OTHER than IE, you wil notice that the first letter of every post is a larger size and a different font. If you have "GothicE" loaded on your machine, then you will see a gothic font. If not, then it uses "Script." If no Script, it defaults back. But the size should still be larger. IE, on the other hand, only allows pseudo-classes and elements to be given to anchors (i.e. <a href=...>). The bastards.

So, it has become annoyingly difficult to develop a creative, informative, and colorful website that is consistent across ALL web browsers. It sucks.

So I bang my head against the wall and move on..."Today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten."

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz from IP address: said...

It's late and I'm to tired to think about html or opera or anything even remotely related to those subjects. Thanks for the 411 though.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Amichai from IP address: said...

right, so I don't understand a thing you say about html. And for some reason the quote you gave made me think of the steven wright joke.

"I know exactly when I'm going to die because my birth certificate has an experation date."

3:53 PM  
Blogger StringMan from IP address: said...

I feel your pain, Hitman (not really ... don't know much about html except how to make italic. But you have a cool site, so I wanted to say so. Now, back to vibrating my G string ...).

Enjoyed the video.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home