Monday, November 14, 2005

Music Review Monday
Like U - Bow Wow f/ Ciara

I'm kicking off a new feature for Mondays. My intent is to do my research and creation over the weekend and post Monday morning. Unfortunately, my PC died last night on me.

Here's how it'll work: I pick a song, I make an opinion of it, and I share it with you. Songs have many layers. Here, I will critique the Music, Lyrics, and Performance. I will also have a special category for other influences, like media/radio stations.

So, without further ado:

HitmanJ's review of "Like You" as performed by Bow Wow featuring Ciara

Overall Rating:

Music

I really don't see a whole lot here in the music category. It is your standard "pop-hop" beat as generated by a beat machine/computer. The highlight of the music on this song is the descending/ascending scale run that accompanies the chorus. It gives the tune some direction and flow.

Lyrics (click for printed lyrics)

I will say this probably every time I review a pop-hop tune, but I hate the written lyrics of this song. Starting right from the word go:
"I ain't ever had nobody show me all the things
That you done showed me"
My English teacher would roll in her grave...if she were dead...hell these lyrics may put her there. I'm not a fan of "ebonics" or whatever we're calling it these days. It is a bastardization of the English language and quite frankly, I'm offended. The part written for femal voice (Ciara in this case) is not this way, however. It is clear and well formatted English.

Besides the grammar, the message of the song is kind of trite. "You're my special girl and I've found no one like you." The approach is modern and it is in true pop-hop style.

Performance (Ciara carried him)

I've not heard anything else from Bow Wow since he, um, well grew up I guess (they no longer call him Li'l Bow Wow). I didn't care for his performance of this song. He doesn't sing. It is more of a Gregorian chant. He never changes pitch in the chorus at all. Again, however, this is typical pop-hop style.

Ciara, on the other hand, has a gorgeous voice and I enjoy listening to her. She has a clear and pleasant sound. The way she sings the tonal runs in the chorus is so nice (only to be contrasted annoyingly by Bow Wow's monotone chant).

Other

I'm a fan of the collaboration. As a Catholic, though, I believe in all things in moderation. Pop-hop and it's kin (gangsta, thug, etc) have been doing too much recently. I'm sure it's in an effort to boost sales. Li'l Jon fans are sure to buy the Usher CD with "Yeah" on it. This one is not so bad.

Ciara possesses true musical talent. Bow Wow not so much. Today it seems that recording contracts are available in Cracker-Jack boxes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz from IP address: said...

Great review, I'm not even sure if I've heard this song. Just to try and get up to speed I checked out Ciara's official site. On there they call this type of music "Crunk&B" I shit you not. Pop-Hop is more accurate I think. I hate Li'l Jon, I don't think he has any talent. Also, I'm so over all the "featuring" and "special guest" crap. Can't any of these acts release a single on their own?

1:11 PM  
Blogger Hazed from IP address: said...

Oh, I just can't make myself listen to pop, hip-hop & a lot of the other newer stuff. But, your review is great. I like the way you've broken it down. Good job!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Monkey from IP address: said...

OK... I am officially very old. I saw this post and the first thing that popped into my head was "I want candy!!"

I'm feeling better now. Thank you.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home