Friday, December 09, 2005

T*G*I*mf'nF

Weekend outlook:

  • Our coldest days this year are upon us.

  • My lights MUST go up.

  • My house is a disgrace. I have one, maybe two loads of laundry left, but the rest of the place is embarrassing. I wouldn't even let my college dorm buddies come over right now.

  • Shopping....oh shit shopping. Right now, I have only shopped for one of 4 siblings and my father. It sucks when all your siblings live far away and their spouses NEVER put forth any effort to get to know you or stay in touch. Now I'm supposed to buy them something? A gift is supposed to come from the heart. I know my lunchlady at work better than I know my sister-in-law. She'll probably be insulted by my lack of effort in her gift, just like she did the year before they got married. She bought us all gifts and we didn't know she was even coming to Christmas. Then, my brother said, in front of the whole family, that she was feeling hurt cuz no one bought her anything...well, if she'd come hang out with us once in a while...or call...or write a friggin e-mail. I swear, the only e-mails I got from them all year was one saying they were safe from the hurricanes (a welcomed note), one with pictures of them in Halloween costume, and one with their Christmas Lists. Which is more than I can say for my sister who only e-mails me junk mail and chain letters. I have NO clue what she wants for Christmas. The one that makes me the saddest is my youngest sister. She DOES come to visit (well, mom and dad, but I live on the way and we have lunch and chat). Whenever I'm in her town (nearest big shopping town), I stop in and we chat. We are qutie close...but I am stumped for gift ideas.

  • Women. All these cold nights and I have no one to keep me warm. I am sad that I lost J (the last girl, dated for 2 months). I know we don't need to be together, too many differences when push comes to shove. However, I miss the way she held me when we slept. I think she was the first woman I ever was able to fall asleep in her arms and not toss and turn ALL night. I miss cuddling on the couch watching movies. I miss random smiles and phone calls.

  • Which leads me to the most important thing in my life. I shouldn't be here. This is not where I need to be. I need to be closer to a different culture. I don't fit in down here. I've tried to find opportunities to move and it seems that the better the opportunity, the more likely it is to have something come up and fall through. I miss my best friend. He moved back home to the Northeast after college. I want to be up there with him. I want to hang out and watch football and baseball with him.


Y'all have a great weekend. Stay warm! Come visit me!

12 Comments:

Blogger rawbean from IP address: said...

I came over here to check out your avatar....very stylin.

If you need help shopping, may I refer you to mysuggested gifts?

Oh what's that? You don't want to buy them crap?...oh...

9:18 AM  
Blogger Hazed from IP address: said...

I'm so sorry you don't have anyone to cuddle with right now. As crass as it sounds - and I really don't mean it to sound crass - have you ever considered getting a cat or a dog? I don't particularly like small dogs, but I'm told they can be very loving and just as loyal as large dogs. I have an affinity for cats. I also have a "way" with them. My 3 cats (okay, 2 of them belong to my daughters but you can guess who loves on them and feeds them and changes the litter...) are NOT lap cats at all. They demand to be rubbed on their schedule, which usually interferes with my shower or when I'm cooking. But, I have tamed them to me, at least. My husband even taught one of the cats to play fetch. They're very snuggly, especially when it's cold.

As for gifts...I'm in the same boat, Dude. We don't buy for everyone in the family, anymore. My husband has (now) 3 siblings and there are 12 neices and nephews and now 1 great nephew. We just can't do it. But, I do have a small handful of close friends who I try to buy for (although, I just can't this year, unfortunately). One is my cousin and his wife and their best friends (another couple). Last year, I bought my cousin and his buddy identical books on something to do with Lord of the Rings. They're both fanatics. I caught the books 1/2 price, so got 2 for the price of one. I knew that the wives loved candles and smell-purty stuff, so I bought lots of little candles and incense sticks and potpouri - girly things. I found most of them at the dollar store or at big mark-down sales in drug stores and variety stores. They all loved their gifts.

A great gift to give to a girl you don't know much about - a soft, cuddly throw. One with few frills is best, since you may not know how girly she is. I stay away from animal prints or bold prints unless I have a reasonable idea she likes them. Wal-Mart has a whole selection of either the chenille throws with tassels or the velux blankets in plain styles, monotone colors. All for under $15.

Do you know if any of your siblings or their spouses craft? A scrapbooking kit is kinda cool. Skeins of yarn and knitting needles or crochet hooks are good. Another cool thing for someone who does any needlework - one of those cute little footstool looking things that actually seconds as a craft bin, underneath the seat/foot rest.

If you go the sweater route (which many people really like!), avoid cashmere, mohair, angora or any types of animal and/or wool fabrics unless you're sure someone's not allergic. My mother goes braindead every other year or so and buys me a wool sweater that I have to return because I'm allergic. I could actually think of a million more if you'd like. I'm actually pretty good at buying spur of the moment gifts for others - except my damn kids. They're impossible to buy for!

Oh, you *could* always get all your male relatives together a few nights before or after Christmas; or take them out for New Year's and hire a belly dancer or a stripper or someone like that. Or take them to a strip club. Only if everyone's comfortable with it, though. I try to send my husband and his dad to the local strip club on his dad's birthday, every year that we can afford it. If you go to one, take lots and lots of dollar bills.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Some Random Girl from IP address: said...

I hope you find your soulmate soon....hang in there...you'll find someone to cuddle with soon. Don't be too picky...we all have faults...the trick is overlooking the ones that aren't that bad!

10:22 AM  
Blogger John from IP address: said...

THanks for the idears guys.

My oldersister does something with yarn and needles, maybe the footstool with storage would be a cool idea...

10:27 AM  
Blogger Liz from IP address: said...

I tried to leave a comment earlier but I think Birdy used up all the memory :)

Two words buddy: GIFT CARD.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Pirate from IP address: said...

sounds like you're going to need an electric blanket.

2:32 PM  
Blogger John from IP address: said...

Electric blankets don't do well with wet dreams.

( I had to get to that one before Nonny).

4:15 PM  
Blogger StringMan from IP address: said...

Not the time to be up here in the Northeast. Too cold and snowy. I'm dreaming of beaches and Margaritaville ...

10:26 PM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners from IP address: said...

Hey J, I'm good at giving gifts! Email me a little bit more about your sister, and I'll come up with some good ideas.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Brad the Gorilla from IP address: said...

What do I have to do to get little lights around MY name on your blog?!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Brad the Gorilla from IP address: said...

Thanks, J! I like the border. Now, if you could only make little shooting stars come out of it...

10:17 PM  
Blogger James from IP address: said...

Yeah, I ended up getting a dog for that kind of stuff. The sex is pretty decent, too.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home